BOB HAMEL, JR.
THOMAS (TOBY) BRIGHT
Ken has been a practicing trial and appellate lawyer for almost 25 years, with extensive experience in complex civil litigation including professional liability, licensing, employment, and healthcare-related business litigation. Ken provides legal advice and serves as counsel to academic medical institutions, health maintenance organizations, charitable and nonprofit corporations, governmental agencies, and individual healthcare providers. Ken's diverse experience includes multiple trials before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Ken serves as a Member of the Board of Health Commission in his hometown of Arlington, MA, where he remains actively involved in the coaching and administration of youth athletics.
• Directors and Officers Insurance Tips for Nonprofits and Charitable Immunity Issues, co-chair, Boston Bar Association CLE (April, 2014)
• New Rules for Medical Malpractice Litigation Under The Health Care Payment Reform Act, co-chair, Boston Bar Association CLE (June, 2013)
• Young Physicians Professional Development and Financial Planning Workshop, faculty, Massachusetts Medical Society (January, 2011)
• Testified at Public Hearing before Massachusetts Joint Committee on the Judiciary regarding Liability Limitations of Charitable Organizations (March, 2006)
• Modern Reflections on Charitable Immunity, 89 Massachusetts Law Review 163 (2006).
• The Medical Peer Review Privilege: A linchpin for Patient Safety Measures, 86 Massachusetts Law Review 157 (2002).
• Physicians as Public Employees: Revisiting the Immunity Issue, 83 Massachusetts Law Review 71 (1998).
• Constitutional Law - United States Supreme Court Finds NCAA Not State Actor Under Fourteenth Amendment - National Collegiate Athletic Association v. Tarkanian, 23 Suffolk University Law Review 1124 (1989).
• Taxation - Court Finds Discrimination In Property Tax Assessment - Picerne v. DiPrete, 23 Suffolk University Law Review 534 (1989).
• Equitable Remedies - Daily Civil Contempt Sanctions Enforce Compliance With Court Orders - City of Providence v. Kalian, 23 Suffolk University Law Review 530 (1989).
Rhode Island, 1997
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1996
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1996